Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Ozma of OZ by L. Frank Baum, Eric Shanower, and Skottie Young

While crossing the ocean with her uncle, Dorothy is once again thrown into a mystical land that needs her help. She must help save the royal family of Ev from the devious Nome King. Fortunately she has the help of new friends Billina the sassy talking chicken and Tik-Tok the ever useful clockwork man and many old friends.

Before I give you my review of the book I have a caveat. I have to admit that I am not a huge fan of the Oz series. I don't like the Judy Garland's Wizard of Oz and have never been intrigued enough to read the actual books. It just all seemed so schmaltzy. Then came along my friend Liz, we were bonded by a love of classic children's movies and though doubtful watched Return to Oz with her. Am I every glad I did!


Amazing right? Like crazy banana-pants awesome! I couldn't believe that this made me a believer in L. Frank Baum, but it did. Ozma of Oz is what this fantastic movie is based on. It isn't quite as exciting, and it is again pretty touchy-feely, but the essence of it is still wonderful. Billina is so sassy and Tik-Tok is so unintentionally sweet and funny. The Hungry Tiger is ridiculous and the army of officers absolutely pretentious. This was delightful. I adored the artwork, it completely suited the off-the-wall storyline. Read this, then watch the Return to Oz movie. It's absolutely worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize Return to Oz was based on another of the series!!! I absolutely loved Baum's original books in 5th grade, though, ironically, I've read all of them except The Wizard of Oz. I wish more people would rediscover the rest of the series, not just the first book!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...