Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Janes in Love by Cecil Castellucci

As referenced by Arianna, Janes in Love is the sequel to the PLAIN Janes. The Janes have found a group of friends, but they're still looking to break into their stereotypical cliques. But this time they're also looking for love and legitimacy. As the police start cracking down on P.L.A.I.N. and Jane's mom becomes more reclusive, the Janes find it harder to remain a cohesive group.

I liked this, though not as much as PLAIN Janes. While PLAIN Janes felt like a new spin on the theme of finding your true friends, this storyline seemed to fall into some cliched pitfalls. There was also some confusing subplots that were just unnecessary (though perhaps they were supposed to be teased out in later issues). Regardless, I thought that this was a nice conclusion to the series. I like the idea of subverting the system by playing by the rules. Clever.

2 comments:

  1. I've heard of the PLAIN Janes graphic novel, and your review makes me want to look into it and Janes in Love. :) Thanks for the recommend, and good luck to my fellow librarians!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, glad we could interest you in a title! I have to admit that I've really enjoyed the DC Minx line of graphic novels, I'm sad that it all got closed down.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...