Sunday, September 19, 2010

Plain Kate by Erin Bow


Kate is alone; her father has just passed away from the unknown disease that is tearing through the country and her known friends are slowly leaving her side as the allow fear to color their judgment. Kate has a gift with wood that seems magical to some, and makes other whisper witch. All Kate wants now is to survive, and to do so she makes a deal with the unknown. In exchange for her shadow, Kate receives her secret desire and the tools to survive. It is only later that she understands the repercussions of her actions and how it will impact those she is coming to care about.

So there's not a ton of stuff I want to say about this. It was good. It reminded me a lot of a Russian fairytale. Kind of dark and pleasing all at the same time. I wouldn't say that blew me away though. It was acceptable, or rather above average. Not super stupendous, but neither boring nor falling into stereotypical tropes. I don't know why I didn't love it. Possibly because I didn't really find the main character all that empathetic until the very end. Anyways, I liked it, didn't love it. Read it, but maybe borrow it from the library instead of buying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...